Saturday, April 25, 2009

Maru, the flu, my foot

I like cats. Cats that know what they like. Cats like Maru.
I have a special place in my heart for slightly tubbier cats.

As per International society for Infectious Disease (ISID): new strain of swine flu now transmitting from human-human without direct swine-human contact. This strain is a combination of swine, avian, and human genomics. This flu is still susceptible to Tamiflu and Relenza, however these drugs must be given within the first two days of infectious symptoms in order to have maximal effect. Remember: the flu virus is a virus, so the more widely Tamiflu and Relenza are used, the more likely resistance will develop.

Wash hands, cover sneezing/coughing. Clean touched surfaces frequently.

On another note, my husband taught me how to wrap my foot today after I ran into a curb and fell. It never came up in Emergency Medicine, strangely. Most people came in with fractures leading to immobilization with a new plexiglass-brace (they don't use plaster anymore).

No comments:

Post a Comment