Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Gym

I hate going to the gym. Why? Because it's a multi-step process that has proven non-sustainability.

Step 1: (night before or morning of - 10min)
Pack in duffle bag: clothes, sneakers, towel, soaps (if choose to shower), padlock for locker.

Step 2: (10 min)
Walk to Gym to reserve cardio equipment 1 hour before actually get to use it.

Step 3: (10 min)
Walk to gym again this time for the exercise experience and change into exercise clothes.

Step 4: (10 min)
Adjust and clean cardio equipment because the previous exercise douche didn't reset or clean anything.

Step 4: (30 min)
Work out.

Step 5: (10 min)
Cooling off period. Being the nice person I am, I reset the equipment and clean it off.

Step 6: (20 min)
Shower and change so I don't kill living creatures with After-Gym Body Stink.

Total time for gym experience: 110 minutes
Total time actually working out: 30 minutes
Total wasted time: 80 minutes

How the *$#!)> can anyone stand doing this? And might I add that using the exercise bike is better than running on a treadmill, which is the most boring exercise man has ever created.

I'll admit, I could cut out 10 minutes if I had reserved a locker and kept a change of clothes/shoes at the gym, but it leaves me with a whole whopping 70 minutes that I still will spend at the gym that is not exercising. Is this what people mean when the say, "I'm going to the gym for an hour" ? Do they actually mean "I'm going to the gym, prepare to exercise, actually only exercise for 20 minutes, then do other crap after exercising."? The crazy thing is, I can't figure out any step of the process that could be eliminated except for the showering bit, in which case I just stink. Or maybe if I showed up to the gym in my work-out-clothes, but that's impossible in winter.

I'm determined to keep to my work-out schedule for the next three weeks, but this may require much fortitude in character.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Running on the street isn't such a good idea. I'll end up getting hit by a car or bus.

2 comments:

  1. You'd end up getting hit by a car or bus just walking on the street - no need to run.

    Seriously, exercise is a giant pain and does take time. In the end I feel like you do accomplish something though. Eh maybe it's the media propaganda machine out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there any trails near you?

    Well, once you move out to Mayo-land, I'm sure the options will open up...

    ReplyDelete