Saturday, April 11, 2009

It's 5am in America

Well, at least the Central U.S. I'd say something clever about a bear now, or who's on the phones at the White House, but it's not really relevant and I'm not that witty.

I'm here in --- looking for a home and I must say, this experience is making me feel like the adult that I am.

For our price range and location, yes, the homes are older, but man, some people need to start lovin' their stuff. One dude sat in his stained recliner sipping a beer while we looked over his propertaaa (as Cartman would say) and waited for the realtor to talk about why the house was infested with Chinese beetles. Chinese beetles. He reminded me of The Dude (because his recliner was on top of a nice oriental carpet) but without the White Russian obsession, and I didn't have to smell The Dude.

On the other end of the spectrum, some of the homes are gorgeous and well maintained. I also met a really friendly tabby who followed us around the entire house and wanted to be petted. Several times over. I like cats. Cat no. 2 in that house just spent the time sleeping behind a recliner.

Another thing I've noticed: people who own homes are more likely to have recliners. My dad has one. He owns his home. I agree that they are very comfortable despite rather bulky, and frankly, hideously upholstered. Hmmm. Is there a place in my life for both home and recliner ownership? It remains to be seen.

The people here are exceedingly polite. It's the only place I've lived, other than Canada, where they say "thank you" and "good night." It's rather nice. This morning, I spent a few minutes listening to the larks sing outside my window before resigning myself to my insomnia and getting up to write my fans (or one fan, rather).

Well, off to work. Must pass ACLS course. Expensive otherwise.

2 comments: